Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save up to three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- Donating blood is a smart move! Thank you, Mphafudi, for your help: https://t.co/ls95DeJbn1. #Gazlam… https://t.co/X9bKA54b5f 3h ago
- Louis B Van der Walt we thank you for tireslessly and consistently saving lives through your 375 blood donations… https://t.co/Pfkshmzu2N 4d ago
- Our everyday heroes, who have each made 200 blood donations over 40 years #DonorAwards #Yourbloodsaveslives https://t.co/Yy2aGmTgJb 4d ago
- These donors have all made 150 blood donations in a 30 year span. We salute you! #DonorAwards #Gazlam https://t.co/Ks86Vc4glk 4d ago
- Talented saxophonist @RikeCoetzer dazzles the guests at tonight’s #DonorAwards #Gazlam https://t.co/kUdnEpA0ma 4d ago
While South Africa’s financial stocks are breaking all kinds of records, another of the country’s stocks is not performing at all as well – the blood stocks. Blood supply in South Africa is at just 1.8 days of Group O stock, equating to less than 2 000 units, and donors are urgently needed to come […]
Imagine if we all remembered every day to do a good deed – no matter how small – how wonderful a place our country would be. That’s exactly what we all can achieve, with the South African National Blood Service’s (SANBS) brand-new Calendar for Good app, which is currently available for download. “Users of our […]
The glitz, glamour, applause and adulation that are part of the Idols competition have done little to change the charismatic Khaya Mthethwa. Winner of the coveted Idols title in 2012, the man who thrilled judges and audiences alike with his talent is now an ordained pastor who has also built an enviable reputation as a […]