Blood stock levels
Platelets Group B
Platelets Group AB
Platelets Group O
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save a minimum of three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- Celebrate our heritage of saving lives today! For your convenience all blood donor centers and selected blood driv… https://t.co/7OoV8FC6NH 13h ago
- https://t.co/ihfF6RXKeb 13h ago
- What percentage of South Africans donate blood? https://t.co/1iaXGYyf0x 3d ago
- Your blood donation can make someone's dream a reality. https://t.co/lDF4akYEFI 4d ago
- @MishyBus Well done Michelle 5d ago
• Are you passionate about saving lives? • Are you keen on being the ‘eyes and ears” of the Blood Service in your community? • Have you got ideas about creating awareness about the importance of blood donation in your community? • Are you willing to assist the Blood Service in overcoming blood shortages? Then […]
If it weren’t for the SANBS, who knows what people would do to get blood when they needed it? We created evocative scenarios where this alternative was crafted into reality. The public was confronted with the possibility of people selling blood on the streets. Needless to say, the consumers were shocked by these situations and […]
On 14 June, the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) celebrated the globally recognised World Blood Donor Day in style. One of the highlights of the celebrations at the SANBS Headquarters, included a song launch and spectacular performance featuring South African pop icons, Vusi Nova and Amanda Black. The new single, titled Gaz’lam, celebrates blood […]