Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save up to three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- @khutso_26826 Hi there, please note that we have received your message and replied to your inbox message. Thank you for your feedback. 4h ago
- Honour the right to life by donating blood. Pledge to donate now by sharing this tweet with the hashtags #NewBlood… https://t.co/HmGDJQ6eT9 5h ago
- @Delisil89358193 @ThapeloMokoena Hi there, for a list of donor centres please visit: https://t.co/ZnyKYruiYK 8h ago
- Many South Africans require blood, yet less than 1% of the country’s 57-million citizens are blood donors. Take hal… https://t.co/QBshng8p04 8h ago
- RT @GCNnews: @theSANBS in hunt for new blood on Human Rights Day: https://t.co/314OKH4b7w #germistoncommunity https://t.co/gWXAsH9ZKD 1d ago
Come lend a hand and donate at your nearest blood drive or donor centre Johannesburg Pretoria KZN Free State Limpopo Eastern Cape Northern Cape Western Cape Vaal If you are wondering how you can become the agent of change that Cyril Ramaphosa urged South Africans to be in his inaugural address […]
SA’s blood transfusion services join with country’s premier university rugby competition to kick blood donation shortages into touch
The South African National Blood Service is delighted to announce that it has partnered with FNB Varsity Cup and the Western Province Blood Transfusion Service (WPBTS) to foster a culture of blood donation among young South Africans. The partnership will run from this year to 2020 and is aimed at: ● Raising awareness around blood […]
South African rugby fans will tell you their blood runs green and gold, but when it really counts, they all know that the tried and tested red variety is what really saves the day. To drive home the message, SANBS, Western Province Blood Transfusion Service and the country’s most prestigious university rugby tournament, the FNB […]