Blood stock levels
Platelets Group B
Platelets Group AB
Platelets Group O
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save a minimum of three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Can I save 3 lives today?
Take the quiz and find out if you can save three lives today.
Click here to take the quiz.
Blood is a precious resource that anyone can give to someone in need. We need your blood, with each donation you can save three lives. We have developed a short online quiz to help you determine if today is a good day for you to save some lives.
Take our two-minute quiz to find out if you meet the requirements to donate blood. Final eligibility will be determined by our staff at our donation centres.
- #BloodIsLife and the blood group you belong to depends on what you have inherited from your parents. Type O+ is the… https://t.co/4CLjsKI0Dk 1d ago
- Did you know that there are different types of donations – whole blood, platelets, plasma & autologous donation. To… https://t.co/ypMmLSPlTw 3d ago
- @inga_maki congrats 3d ago
- @VelaMavela Hi Vela , our vacancies are on our website . https://t.co/XLegiWOrn7 4d ago
- Get the blood pumping! Keeping your body healthy with regular exercise is very important. #YourBloodSavesLives https://t.co/PfPRTnR2zB 5d ago
1. About SANBS SANBS is a Non-Profit Organisation incorporated in terms of the Companies Act. The mandate of SANBS is to provide blood transfusion and related services. The company provides an essential life-saving service to patients, hospitals and the medical profession in South Africa through collecting, processing and issuing safe blood for South Africans. SANBS […]
DATE: 13 MARCH 2019 ISSUED BY THE SANBS CHAIRMAN – MS GETTY SIMELANE The Board of the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) noted the Citizen Report that claims “CEO pay bleeds SANBS” of 11 March 2019 and the editorial published the following day. As the Board is responsible for the appointment and the remuneration […]
When it comes to sustaining life, there’s one vital liquid without which humans can’t survive. Coffee. That, and blood. The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) now offers both. SANBS and Nespresso have joined forces to bring world-class coffee blends to our life saving heroes and heroines. If you need a quick pick-me-up after donating, […]