Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save up to three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- Prematurity is one of the three major causes of newborn deaths in SA. Your blood can save a child #worldprematurityday #Gazlam 14h ago
- RT @_ArriveAlive: Road Safety And The Need For Blood - Donate and help save a Lives https://t.co/yd5BD9qoDy #ArriveAlive @theSANBS https://t.co/1NOu029ipw 15h ago
- RT @_ArriveAlive: Road Safety And The Need For Blood - Donate and help save a Lives https://t.co/yd5BD9qoDy #ArriveAlive @theSANBS https://t.co/04GxNA3EmJ 2d ago
- @KillarneyMall held a blood drive this past Sunday. Thank you to all those who came to donate blood #Gazlam… https://t.co/TezUb0lzPs 4d ago
- RT @ECR_Newswatch: #SANBS host #blood drives across KZN. https://t.co/PqtHE9FNut https://t.co/5M7dMSRYuH 5d ago
While South Africa’s financial stocks are breaking all kinds of records, another of the country’s stocks is not performing at all as well – the blood stocks. Blood supply in South Africa is at just 1.8 days of Group O stock, equating to less than 2 000 units, and donors are urgently needed to come […]
Imagine if we all remembered every day to do a good deed – no matter how small – how wonderful a place our country would be. That’s exactly what we all can achieve, with the South African National Blood Service’s (SANBS) brand-new Calendar for Good app, which is currently available for download. “Users of our […]
The glitz, glamour, applause and adulation that are part of the Idols competition have done little to change the charismatic Khaya Mthethwa. Winner of the coveted Idols title in 2012, the man who thrilled judges and audiences alike with his talent is now an ordained pastor who has also built an enviable reputation as a […]