Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save a minimum of three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- Congratulations to all the amazing brands and agencies who were Victorious at the #Loeries2018. https://t.co/PEfuJsvfWk 15h ago
- Our blood drive on the Durban beachfront has done phenomenally well with our donors already having saved over 78 li… https://t.co/gWkUM9TOak 2d ago
- Two more interns Courtney and Melissa who are blood donors from @TBWAHunts at the Egg Party @loeries #imimportant… https://t.co/JkzBKI4krS 2d ago
- @MO_Pitso intern at @VMLSouthAfrica who is just as important as everyone else at the exclusive Egg party at… https://t.co/2W9AXmLAqg 2d ago
- @bonchiachanza @HDIYouth @TBWAAfrica Bongani Chinkanda giving blood at the #loeries2018! #@loeries #imimportant. https://t.co/n3EIRg9VDr 2d ago
If it weren’t for the SANBS, who knows what people would do to get blood when they needed it? We created evocative scenarios where this alternative was crafted into reality. The public was confronted with the possibility of people selling blood on the streets. Needless to say, the consumers were shocked by these situations and […]
On 14 June, the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) celebrated the globally recognised World Blood Donor Day in style. One of the highlights of the celebrations at the SANBS Headquarters, included a song launch and spectacular performance featuring South African pop icons, Vusi Nova and Amanda Black. The new single, titled Gaz’lam, celebrates blood […]
“It really is an awesome thing to do,” says blood recipient Jacob Mohapi. He received blood on two occasions due to horrific car accidents. Thanks to South Africa’s dedicated pool of blood Jacob – and thousands of others with life-threatening conditions – joins the South African National Blood Service (SANBS) in encouraging to South Africans […]