Blood stock levels
Where can I donate?
Your blood saves lives.
Less than 1% of South Africans are active blood donors. A unit of blood only lasts 42 days after donation and, for this reason, it is important for blood donors to donate regularly. Donors can give blood as often as every eight weeks.
Every unit of blood can save up to three lives as blood is separated into red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
SANBS aims to collect 3000 units of blood per day to ensure a safe and sufficient blood supply in the health care system. This is the journey of 1 unit of donated blood.
There are many SANBS blood donation centres open to the public. To find the location nearest to you, click on our map. Or you may consider motivating your employer to host a blood drive at your offices for the convenience of all staff members.
Am I eligible?
Generally you can donate if you are healthy and lead a low risk lifestyle.
“Healthy” means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition, such as diabetes, “healthy” also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.
“Risky behaviour”, such as having sex with someone you dont know or injecting yourself with drugs, means that you have been at risk of contracting transfusion transmissible infections such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C. We rely on your honesty and ask that you NOT donate if you have engaged in risky behaviour.
You must consider your blood safe for transfusion to a patient.
- Do you know your blood type? Find out more on https://t.co/1tN0jiB9jj #Gazlam #YourBloodSavesLives https://t.co/1sZ1Q2EHin 17h ago
- Who else got their No Chicken Award recently? Thank you, we hope to see you back in 56 days! :) https://t.co/2ipZvUTTRV 3d ago
- RT @Lebelo16: @theSANBS #Saving Lives https://t.co/Wz5cmgENI4 3d ago
- RT @dubsphiwe: #67MinutesForMandela done, platelets donation is used to make chemotherapy drugs for cancer patients @theSANBS… https://t.co/rh3whqnhqm 4d ago
- @Thando10doors @djqualitysa We are sorry, Thando. Please keep watching this space for our blood drives. #Gazlam #YourBloodSavesLives 4d ago
Every year, on 18 July, people around the globe do their bit in support of Mandela Day to make the world a better place. But how many will be able to say they saved the lives of three people? “You will be able to donate blood, if you visit any of our hundreds of Mandela […]
During June, National Blood Donor Month, the SANBS has partnered with 3M Nexcare™ to promote the importance of donating blood – and encourage pledges to give blood. 3M Nexcare’s support for the SANBS forms part of its annual Give campaign, an annual global initiative. The theme for this year’s campaign, the fourth, is “Give Where […]